Saturday, February 4, 2012

Long Run and a Sweet Treat! -Taylor

Woke up this morning excited to go somewhere new for my "long run" of 2 miles! So I laced up my shoes, straped on my garmin, and plugged in my ipod!  I drove down to the local highschool track.  I was hoping that the "bouncy" track would be a little less stressful on my POOR SHINS!!!!!  Ok seriously, I've played sports my ENTIRE life but I have never experienced shin splints like I have this last week!  ugh!  So I met my trusty running buddy, Leslie.  After a fun lil photo shoot...we did one warm-up lap and then started our journey to 2 miles. 
I've come to the conclusion that the first 1/2 miles SUCKS!!!!  Every time I start running I HATE it!!!  My body hurts, my lungs burn, and I always hate the music I pick.  But then the moment I hit .51 miles it all goes away!  Once I pass that half mile point I find my stride.  So I need to remind myself that if I can just get past that first half mile, I'll be smooth sailing!

So I feel like I need to say something b/4 I keep typing!  So...I want to let you know that I am SO PROUD of myself!  I really am!  I can't believe that I can run a whole mile straight not to mention 2.5 miles!  So, with that being said I was so DISAPPOINTED with todays run!  Once I got past the dreaded first half mile I was doing great!  At one point my pace was an 11 minute mile (my longest was 15 min)!!!!  I had determined that I was gonna do it! I was going to keep going the entire 3.2 miles (5k)!  So I was feelin like a million bucks until I hit the 2 mile mark and then it happened.....some kind of force came up from the depths of Hell and sunk it's devilish teeth right into my shins!!!!!!!!  They were on FIRE!  It came from out of nowhere!  Everytime I took a step the pain shot from my ankle up to my knee!  I was able to go another half mile (2.5 total) but had to stop!  UGH! I was soooo bummed!  My breathing was great, my body felt great, and I was on a kick butt song.  I felt like I could have gone forever EXCEPT for those dang shins!  This is disapointed me with my new best friend; ICY HOTT!

(Total time: 38:37   2.53miles    352calories)
I think Leslie could see how disapointed I was so she asked if I wanted to go back to her house for the tastiest protein shake on EARTH!  Of course I accepted her offer!  Oh and it was PURE BLISS!  It was whey protein, peanut butter, and mixed frozen fruit!  Tasted exactly like a PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWICH!  YUMMM! Thanks for raising my spirits Leslie!  Tomorrow is a much needed rest day and on Monday is a LONG run of 3.2 miles! That's right, I may not have won the battle today but I WILL win the war on Monday (Running War, that is)!  HAPPY TRAILS!
February Miles: 6
Total 2012 Miles: 10.5 

2 comments:

Erin said...

Thank goodness for shin splints because if you would have run 3.2 miles, I would have been SO proud of you, but I think I would have felt a little bit discouraged too. You are doing AMAZING!!!!! I love this. Keep it up!!!

Brooke R. Harper said...

You are going awesome!!!

Post a Comment